This article goes over how to make use of autosave files. The autosave files are records of individual tests. They are automatically created by Espion software anytime a test is run.
The autosave files are useful for recovery of a corrupted test which gives the listed error message.
Error Message: Access violation at address ### in module 'multifocal.exe'/ Read of address ###
Cause: This means that the test file has been corrupted.
The files can also be used to recover data when a test was unable to be saved. The instructions below apply to both situations.
Action: Recover Data using autosave file
1) You will need to identify the autosave file that contains the test that needs to be recovered. You will need to know the test type, as well as the time and date that the test was conducted.
2) Close the software.
3) Navigate to the
4) Identify the autosave test file that corresponds to your lost test by matching the
test type of the lost or corrupted test.
ie. ESSAVE_Database_FDB_Test Type_Patient Record name_Date_Time
5) Copy the autosave file and paste it onto the
6) Right click on file, left click on Rename, highlight the text prior to .bak, and type in the text "ESSAVE". We want the file name to read as
7) Move file into C:\Multifocal\Autosave
8) Open the Espion software.
10) A message will automatically appear, "A Recovery File dated ______ has been found for _____. Do you want to load the recovered data?" Select
Espion will read from the autosave file and generate a new copy of the test. The test window will open and display the subject data. Exit and save test.